Sun DNS lookup to Ultrix server fails

Torstein Meyer torstein at nic.forut.no
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

We would like to have both DNS- and YP-/NIS- bind working in an
heterogenous environment (SunOS and Ultrix).

How come we`re not able to utilize dns from our Sun clients.  dns server :
MVaxII Ultrix 4.0 (also YP/NIS master server) dns client : SunSparc1 SunOS
4.1 (also YP/NIS slave server) nslookup works fine from the sparc, but
neither ping nor any other net programs manage to get host info from the
domain name server.

I guess this is familiar to many of you - having seen hints about adding a
B=-b in the yp Makefile. Ultrix does not have such a setting!  SunOS does
not have Ultrix`s /etc/svc.conf feature .!? I think.  Please, advice us on
this subject ....