How do I kill this?

Clive Pickles pickles at mpr.ca
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

In article <2226 at brchh104.bnr.ca> mike at sharebase.com (Mike Ubell) writes:
>In article <2150 at brchh104.bnr.ca> you write:
>
>>How do I kill this process?
>>
>>root      6585  0.0  0.0   48    0 je S    15:47   0:00 <exiting>
>
>Reboot!

NOT NECESSARY!

>This looks like a flow control problem where the port frezes waiting
>for the output to drain but it has recieved an x-off (or cts has dropped,
>if enabled).  There is a patch: 100194-02 that seems to fix this.
***deleted stuff here
>If you want to try to free the port without rebooting you can connect a
>terminal with a null modem at the proper baud rate (if you know what it
>is) and type a CNTR-Q (or assert the cts line, as apropriate).

An EASIER way of doing this is to make yourself root, then put a trace on
this process.  On my 4.0.3 system, this "wakes the process up" and causes
it to finish exiting  (and also cleans up any defunct processes it may
have spawned).  The process should exit almost immediately.

But I agree with Mike...you should really get the patch.

= Clive Pickles - Systems Administrator MPR Teltech Ltd. (Ottawa) =
= Phone: (613) 787-4159 ------------------ E-mail: pickles at mpr.ca =