Gethostbyaddr errors

Harold Pritchett HAROLD at uga.cc.uga.edu
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

>After installing YP (NIS) on our network of SUNs the machine that does the
>NIS serving has the following type of error messages reported by syslog:
>
>nres_gethostbyaddr: ilium.trl.OZ.AU != 137.147.20.137
>
>This message is repeated for various other machines. The internet address
>as shown is correct for the machine.  We also started using the Domain
>name service at the same time.

I am seeing exactly the same thing here on a Sparc 1+ running 4.1.1.  This
machine, however is NOT running NIS.  It is a secondary domain name server
and the messages are as follows:

syslog: gethostbyaddr: vtvm2.cc.vt.edu != 128.173.4.2

Again, this is the correct address for vtvm2.  I have seen a fix for NIS
for this problem, but have never seen it reported on a non NIS machine.

Harold C Pritchett         |  BITNET:  HAROLD at UGA
BITNET TechRep             |    ARPA:  harold at uga.cc.uga.edu
The University of Georgia  |
Athens, GA 30602           |    fido:  1:370/60
(404) 542-3135             |     Bbs:  SYSOP at (404) 354-0817