Help needed : booting a diskless client

Christine Hogan chogan%maths.tcd.ie at pucc.princeton.edu
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

Details :  two SPARCStation1s, 4.0.3

I want to get our diskful SS1 to boot the diskless.  But I always get one
of the following three messages :

Got error packet: Error Code 1 Message : File not found

Receive failed

Internal loopback test --
Did not receive expected loopback packet

It passes all it's self-tests and used to boot from an internal drive
before that died in a power surge.  I've R'edTFM until I'm blue in the
face, but I can't see what I'm missing.  I've started rarpd and
rpc.bootparamd; in.tftpd is started from inetd and I ran setup_client,
which didn't hit any problems (except for a pile of "mknod: file exists"
messages).  I've exported everything I need to and the root and swap
created by setup_client look fine, as does /tftpboot.  This machine hasn't
been used as a boot server before, I'm sure it should be easy and it's
something obvious, but we need the client up and I'm out of ideas.  Any
suggestions and pointers to where else in TFM to look will be gratefully
received.

Please email, as I need help _fast_ and there probably isn't much
interest.  I'll summarise if requested, though.

Christine.
chogan at maths.tcd.ie                    ...!mcsun!maths.tcd.ie!chogan
chogan%maths.tcd.ie at cunyvm.cuny.edu