X11R4 xdm, SunOS 4.1, and setsid()

John A. Shriver jas at proteon.com
Wed Apr 17 11:00:00 AEST 1991

I think that the POSIX setsid() changes are doing bad things with my xdm
on SunOS 4.1.  I have zillions of zombies hanging in the Session ID that
was started by xdm, especially for programs run off of twm menus via rsh.
I would think that when a fork of xdm started running on a terminal, it
would become a session leader, but my individual xdm's are not visibly
attached to any terminal.

Has anyone improved the X11R4 xdm to do the "right thing" with setsid()?
Alternately, are the fixes to the existing setpgrp() calls to make them do
the right thing.

Process groups are not one of the strongly documented UNIX concepts.  The
discussion of the setsid(8) program in the release manual helps, but the
setsid(2V) and setpgrp(2V) man pages are really hoplelessly thin.