Auto dialback from Sun-4 workstations via modem.

J.S. Veiss jsv9504 at ultb.isc.rit.edu
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

Here's the situation:  We have a PDP-11 running RSTS V10.0-L connected to
a VAX 11-785 connected to a SPARC network, but the SPARC isn't connected
to the PDP.  When we want to dial up, we have to go through the PDP.
Unfor- tunately, there seems to be a bug in the RSTS operating system
(introduced in V10.0) in which it buffers characters until a control
character is received.  The VAX doesn't seem to have a problem with this
(it handles the terminal the same way) however to get the Suns we have to
go through the VAX and that's where the problem is.

So what we've attempted to do was come up with a program to dialback the
user (similar to the program on the PDP; basically a type of dialup pro-
tection) from the Suns using tip but we can't seem to get it to work.  Any
ideas on what else we might try, like an already existing program, etc.?

Added information:  The way the modem on the Suns is hooked up, it can
dial out but it can't receive calls unless it originated internally.  The
callback program on the PDP is called from a modified login program.
Former versions of RSTS didn't have the buffered mode which is why it
worked when you went from the PDP to the VAX to the Suns.  Apparently, the
VAX can handle this buffered mode (except in EDT) but it needs to turn off
the buffered mode for 'SET HOST's to non-VAX machines.

Please reply via E-mail.

Jepher Veiss
Rochester Institute of Technology