NeWSprint, SPARCprinter - any good?

Joe Habermann haberman at s1.msi.umn.edu
Wed Apr 17 11:00:00 AEST 1991

We're looking into the possibility of purchasing a new PostScript printer.
We are considering Sun's SPARCprinter because of its advertised ppm and
low cost.  Were looking for evaluations from sites that have purchased the
printer and have been using it for a while.

o Do the printer+workstation really do 12 ppm consistantly even on
  complicated PostScript?  (I saw this claim in an article.)

o Have you found that the system is able to handle most PostScript that
  you've thrown at it?

o Is the SparcStation printer host overly weighed down by performing the
  raster-image processing?  Is it very noticeable to a user working on the
  workstation?

o Have you had any h/w problems with the SPARCprinter itself?  Is it
  noisy?

o In general, would you recommend the system?  Why or why not?

I'll summarize if I get enough data.

Thanks,

Joe Habermann
haberman at msi.umn.edu