Magneto - Optical drives on a Sun

Mathew BM LIM mbl900 at anusf.anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 18 07:14:13 AEST 1991

We are looking to purchase one or two Sony eraseble Magneto - Optical disk
drives for our Sun workstations. So far none of our normal vendors have
been able to demonstrate a working drive to us. The closest I have got to
an answer is that "support the Sony disk drive is built into SunOS4.1 +,
you will be able to mount and unmount it as if it were a normal file
system". When pressed for more details, I get a blank.

Has anyone any experiences with connecting a (SCSI) Sony M/O drive to a
SparcStation IPC running SunOS 4.1.1? Is the statement that "support is
built into SunOS 4.1.1 +" correct? And wil I be able to format and mount
the drive as if it were a ufs file system? Will I be able to export it via
NFS?

Thanks.

Mathew Lim,			| Telephone : +61 6 249 2750
Unix Systems Programmer,	| Fax	    : +61 6 247 3425
ANU Supercomputer Facility,	|
Australian National University,	| ACSnet    : Mathew.BM.Lim at anu.oz
GPO Box 4, Canberra City, ACT,	| Internet  : Mathew.BM.Lim at anu.edu.au
Australia 2601.			|