Gettying [sic] tip to work

David Friedlander dpf at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

Well, this doesn't seem to be addressed in the 'FAQ' list, so here goes.

A colleague and I have been tearing our hair out trying to get 'tip' to
work on a SPARCstation IPC running SunOS4.1.1 .

In particular, we have been running across 'all ports busy' errors.  We
would like to be able to dial out, and dial-in capability would simply be
an extra.  We *have* RTFM, but following the instructions there still left
us at a dead end.

My questions:
	o	What do your /etc/remote and /etc/ttytab files look like?
	o	How general is this from Sun to other UN*X platforms?

Oh, another complication.  We have a ROLM data telephone system (9600
baud), which means that the modem is not really Hayes compatible. (Does
that necessarily make it Hayes *in*compatible? :-))

	Any advice would be appreciated.
		Thanks in advance.
			David Friedlander

|David Friedlander / STX / Code 664                dpf at sage0.gsfc.nasa.gov  |