Sun Network Suggestions

Jamie Matlack jamie at richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

I need any information regarding network performance improvement with
Suns.

Presently I have one logical network broken down into two spurs.  Each
spur has two file servers to support about 75 dataless workstations each.
One spur has 2 3/280 as servers, the other spur has a 3/280 and 4/390.
Each spur is connected to an ethernet backupbone via a bridge. My 150+
workstations are 3/xx, 386i's,and 4/xx's. Quite a mixture.

My problems are:

1. A lot of collisions are being seen on the network.
2. My workstations on spur 1 (the on with the 2 3/280 servers) are
   binding (NIS) with the 4/390 on the other spur, as well as mounting NFS
   via automount from the 4/390 on the other spur.

When we set up the network, our goal was to confine traffic to each spur
as much as possible, however, still allowing complete connectivity to the
entire network should they need to. We assumed that would be mininal.

Obviously the 4/390 is faster at responding to NIS and NFS requests. Does
any one have any suggestions on a work around for  this. Also, I would
appreceicate any information from any other administrators out there who
have a network about our size on how they set up their network. ANy and
all suggestions would be most appreciated.

Jamie Matlack
System Administrator
(708) 574-7424 x2505
jamie at richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com