Daylight savings time ?????

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Wed Apr 24 10:00:00 AEST 1991

In article <2467 at brchh104.bnr.ca> sroot at ms-2.gvl.unisys.com (Steve as root) writes:
>Daylight savings time questions:
>1. I understand "zic" informs the system of upcoming time changes, changes
>   the time + or - XX:XX and changes from EST to EDT. Where are these files
>   located?

Don't use 'zic' - precompiled time-zone-info files already exist.  They
are in /usr/lib/zoneinfo.  Several timezones have multiple names.  To see
them, do the following:

	cd /usr/lib/zoneinfo
	find . -links +1 -ls | sort | more

>2. If the system changes for EDT, do I have to recreate this file to
>   reflect the change back to EST in the fall.
>3. How do I change this maunally?

There is no need to do anything manually if you make
/usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime be a hard link to
/usr/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C51    | BIX: smithjoe | CA license plate: "POPJ P," (PDP-10)
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga 3000 speaks for me."