NIS netmasks problem in OS 4.1.1 upgrade/install

Gary L Dare gld at cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:00:00 AEST 1991

We're in the process of performing an upgrade to 4.1.1 on a Sun 3/60.
This workstation acts as our server.  We create a netmask map using the
file /etc/netmasks; fine ...

When we type ypcat netmasks, it doesn't acknowledge its existence!  (this
was verified by output from ypcat -x ...) Doing "ifconfig le0" confirms
that the information from /etc/netmasks was not utilized

A check with the NIS Makefile did not indicate anything unusual for this
portion of the system in comparison to others in it.  Everything else from
the NIS Makefile was made properly.

Right now, we have to manually patch this in rc.local to explicitly
declare the netmask and broadcast information because this NIS map
(netmasks) does not exist to set up that service.

Has anyone else come across this problem or knows of an official (or
non-official) solution for this?

Gary L. Dare				Trumps Split! (p.1) - NY Post,
gld at cunixD.cc.columbia.EDU		Tyson KO'd! (p.3)	Monday
gld at cunixc.BITNET			Mandela Freed! (p.7) Feb.11/90