PC X-Server ....

Roger Lighty ral at hydra.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Apr 27 10:00:00 AEST 1991

I have been using a couple of PC's as X-terminals hanging off of a Sun
3/150.  One uses a program called eXceed-plus from Hummingbird
Communications, Ltd. and the other runs PC-XVIEW from Graphic Systems
Software.  I bought two different products to compare.  There does not
seem to be a large difference between the products;except:

  PC-XVEIW comes up much faster and is easier to install.  eXceed+  seems
  more flexible and can be tuned to need more easily.

When up and running I see little difference in the packages.  They both
retail in the $495 range, with discounts of 5-10-20% for quantity/or
whatever.  Besides the IBM product mentioned in sun-spots, there are at
least two other products:

        VisionWare has a Windows based product XVision
        Locus has a product (? Xsight?)

There may be others.  Xhibition '91 in San Jose June 2-5 would be a good
place to see what there is.

Check comp.windows.x in the FAQ.  I believe one of the questions there
concerns who has X for PC-DOS (and others for PC-UNIX, MAC, and Apple
AA/UX).

These are my experiences with the products.  Others may have differing
experiences.  Nothing in this is to be taken as an endorsement of either
product by JPL, Caltech, NASA, or the US goverment.  I have not pushed the
servers through any battery of tests to fully exercise the X potentials.
Both work for me in my limited needs.  I have not procured the other s/w
so can not compare.  Go to Xhibition.  See what is there.

Roger Lighty		ral at hydra.jpl.nasa.gov