SLC Shoeboxen (summ

Robert Murphy autodesk!bobert at uunet.uu.net
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

A few weeks ago, I posted a query about third-party shoeboxes for
Sparcstation SLCs.  Here's a summary of pertinent responses:

I did the same thing--bought an SLC then added a Fuji 669 Mb disk with a
150 Mb Archive tape.  I got mine from Acropolis and the people there are
fantastic (Ken Schmidt).  Excellent responses from them to any questions,
etc.  I went back later for another 8 Mb of memory (you need 16 Mb on the
SLC) and had another good experience with them.

***

Try CITA technologies at (916)344-5558.

***

I bought two 3.5" Quantum 210 PDS disks (from Quantum). They format as
SUN0207 disks (/etc/format.dat) without trouble.  That gives me 2 * 190
MBytes after formatting and shares the disk load between two disks. Also:
if one breaks I can still work.

***

I would recommend this company:

    Apunix Computer Services
    9330 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite C
    San Diego, CA 92129

    Phone: (800) 8AP-UNIX
    FAX:   (619) 484-2550

Decent prices, good service, fantastic warranties, and nice folks.  I'm
just a satisfied customer, nothing more.

***

Shoot!  This is my second Apunix recommendation today:  I should have just
saved my other message!

We've purchased several shoeboxes from Apunix Computer Services, and had
very good luck with them.  I beleive there was a case where a unit was
dead on arrival and the vendor was prompt about getting us a replacement
unit.

They can be reached at 800-827-8649, which is 800-8AP-UNIX, or at
(619)484-0074.  They can supposedly get mail at apunix!phb at ucsd.edu (I'm
copying this to them so they can tell me if they don't want me to in the
future!)

***

I have bought lots of stuff from Apunix in San Diego and have been very
please.  Their phone number has changed, but the old number still
redirects It is 619.484.0074.

***

Try Acropolis systems.  I bought a 327 meg half-height disk for my slc
from them.  They loaded sunos on it and were very helpful on the phone.
Good price too.  Their number is 408-946-6947.

***

try anDATAco.

***

Suggest you look into Box Hill disks.  They're faster, more reliable and
far less expensive than Sun's disk (and tape) systems.  I've bought 'em in
the office and at home.  Let me know if you have any other questions about
them.

Regards,

Steve Roth (sroth at eastend.jpr.com)

PS:  Call Carol Turchin at 800-727-3863.  She's my rep.

***

Try Apunix, 1-800-8-apunix. We've bought a 669 Mb HP drive + 150 Mb 1/4"
tape drive unit from them for a SLC. The price looked was ok, and they
seem reasonable people to deal with. We also have a 669 Mb Fujitsu drive
hanging off a SS1, and another on order for a sparc2.  I don't get any
discounts for saying this.

***

And finally, the following from comp.sys.next:

lange at lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:

>I've read in various places here that people were able to find 600MB +
>drives for around $1300 or so, but I haven't been able to find such
>a low price in normal advertisements (lowest I've seen is about $1650
>in MacWeek).  Does anybody know about such low-priced beasts?

Several people (including me) have bought Fujitsu 2263SA's from Fast
Access in Elmhurst, Ill.  I get the impression that it's a really small
outfit with low overhead, so they can sell disks with just a small markup.

Current price on a 2263SA (770 MB unformatted, ~660 MB formatted) is
$1,413.  Shipping is about $15.

You want to talk to Mal Steadman.  Their # is 1-708-530-7749