Using a shoebox on a SPARCstation 1+, can it be done???

Robert Richards buc at jessica.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 22 07:15:00 AEST 1991

I just received a SPARCstation 1+ upgrade from a SUN-3.  The SUN-3 had a
shoebox attached to it with a QIC-24 tape mechanism.  it is one of the
"newer" tape mechanisms with I believe the tape drive from Maxtor.

I recall reading that shoebox's tape drives and SPARCstations do not work
together in some or all cases.  Since I have yet to get it functioning I
am asking if it is possible, and if so what are any "tricks" that one
needs to apply for it to work???

Here's another complicating factor if I can get the shoebox functioning, I
also have a CDROM drive.  Does the order matter when attaching SCSI
units???

Thanks for any assistance or pointers.

        Rob Richards