New SUN 207MB disk on old SUN 3/60

David Koch dmk at nucs.newcastle.edu.au
Sat Feb 23 05:31:00 AEST 1991

I've been trying to find out if the SUN 207MB SCSI disk drive will connect
and work with the SCSI port of a SUN 3/60. SUN Australia say they don't
know, they are not interested, and they certainly would not guarantee it.
This simply highlights that they do indeed not know, and from a commercial
point of view (understandable) there is no value in them finding out.

The issue is, does the 207MB drive run async SCSI mode that the SUN 3/60
SCSI port and drivers are happy with, once the right format.dat entry has
been created. SUN only quote its sync data transfer speed of 4.0MB/s.  I
haven't found out what brand or model they use, otherwise I could check a
data sheet.

We have run lots of embedded SCSI drives on our SUN 3/60's. I'd just like
confirmation from someone who really knows ('cause they have tried it!)
that the SUN 207MB drive (SUN P/N: X552) when used with a SCSI-1 to SCSI-2
cable (SUN P/N: X931) will work on a SUN3/60.

David Koch, Professional Officer
Department of Computer Science, University of Newcastle, NSW 2308, Australia.
Ph: (049) 216080/216034  Fax: (049) 601712, AARnet: dmk at nucs.newcastle.edu.au