/dev/audio permissions... (SUMM

Robert L. Howard rhoward at msd.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 19 05:43:00 AEST 1991

My original post:

--I am interested in finding out how you can restrict writing to /dev/audio
--(and thus use of play, soundtool, etc.).  It would be nice if permissions
--were restricted to the user that is logged on to the console .....
:
--Is this some configuration kind of thing or would I need to do something
--like hack 'login'?

I failed to mention that I was running SunOS 4.1.1.  Fortunately the
replies I got were appropriate....

The answer is (from a typical reply):

Under SunOS 4.1 and 4.1.1 you could add an entry for /dev/audio into
/etc/fbtab, which controls the permissions on various devices
(framebuffers, /dev/kbd, /dev/mouse) based on which tty the user is logged
in on, e.g.

/dev/console	0600	/dev/kbd:/dev/mouse

sets the perms on /dev/kbd and /dev/mouse to 600 (owned by the user)
whenever someone is logged in on the console.

Many thanks to all who responded (listed below):

	ang at theory.lcs.mit.edu (William Ang)
	tar at math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey)
	grw at Eng.Sun.COM (Gregory Whitehead)
	Claus Assmann <ca%idefix.informatik.uni-kiel.dbp.de at RELAY.CS.NET>
	Ed Anselmo <anselmo-ed at CS.YALE.EDU>
	Tad Guy <tadguy at abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov>
	Joe P. DeCello <jpd at tardis.cl.msu.edu>
	guy at auspex.com (Guy Harris)
	bk at analytikerna.se (Bengt KLEBERG)
	Ian Angles <ia at st-andrews.ac.uk>
	ssd at engr.ucf.edu (Steven S. Dick)
	"Mark D. Baushke" <mdb at ESD.3Com.COM>

Thanks again,

| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward at msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |
| (404) 528-7165               |    Atlanta, Georgia  30332             |