Subnetting on SunOS 4.1.1

Jeff Woodward woodward at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu
Thu Feb 14 09:03:00 AEST 1991

After having obtained a Class B internet number assignment, I am building
a subnetted network wherein I am using a subnet mask to create, obviously,
subnets.

However, whenever I assign a subnet in which the fourth octet happens to
be zero, things don't work correctly.  i.e.  whenever I assign a network
number in /etc/networks in which the last octet is zero, e.g.

test.net.edu	nn.nn.nn.0

where nn are any valid integers. When I do this, and then do a netstat -r,
the system shows the network number, not the network name (e.g.
test.net.edu) as it should. Also, the routing funtions (including
broadcasts of RIP packets) just don't work right.

Anybody know a good fix for this, or do we all simply have to throw away
every sub-network number that ends with a zero octet. (which is quite a
few if you have a lot of subnet mask bits set!)

Thanks in advance for your help.