4/490 vs 4/390 vs Auspex as a server?

brad at spica.ucsc.edu brad at spica.ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 20 06:22:00 AEST 1991

We are looking into upgrading our server capacity.  We currently have a
Sun 4/280 and a Sun 4/390 serving ~40 Sparcatation {SLC,IPC,1,1+,2},
4/110, and Sun 3 workstations.  We are starting to see problems with this
as far as load on the servers and response time to the clients, and the
in-flow of workstations continues.

Does anyone have real experience with the differences between any of the
three options listed (4/490, 4/390, Auspex) as far as providing NFS and
compute service.  The big questions being do you get significant gains
going from a 390 to a 490, and how does the Auspex fit into a real-world
environment.

Thanks in advance,

Brad Smith
CIS Board, UC Santa Cruz