Word Perfect licensing for Sun Network

ccrwest!kkw at ucsd.edu ccrwest!kkw at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 14 09:03:00 AEST 1991

I am looking at purchasing Word Perfect 5.0 for the Sun and am extremely
confused with their licensing scheme.  Does anyone out there have WP that
could explain to me what I really need to buy to accomplish the following:

Configuration:
   	Sun4/470 server
	5 Sparcstations
	8-10 terminals or PC's using PC-NFS

The actual software will be installed on the server since all filesystems
are NFS mounted on the clients.  I want any user at any terminal or
workstation to be able to utilize WP.  However, as we all know not all the
devices will really be utilizing WP at all times.  Probably only about 3
users will be using WP at any one time.  What I really want is a
concurrent use license or a site license but that does not appear to be
available.  Instead I am being told that I would have to purchase both the
multi-user license and the network versions to handle all the cases.  But
I don't understand why I would need both since I won't actually be
installing the software on the workstations.  Anyway,  my question is:
Does WP do some kind of detection for what type of processor or device you
are running on to determine if you are licensed?  Or if I just bought the
multi-user license would I be able to do what I want since I will not
actually be installing the software on the workstations themselves but do
expect to utilize it on the workstations.  Of course what I really want is
a licensing scheme such as Framemaker utilizes.