Turning off monitors

John B. Boyland boyland at sequoia.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Feb 23 05:31:00 AEST 1991

The Sparc manuals say that the monitor should be turned on before the
system unit is turned on and turned off after the system unit is turned
off.

In the interests of saving energy, we would like to turn off the monitors
when the machines are unused overnight.

Does anyone know why this shouldn't be done?  Is there any official Sun
position?

[[Ed's Note: Turning off your system monitor has no effect on the actual
CPU (unless it's a VT100 hooked up as a console :) :)); however, turning
it on and off will probably reduce the lifetime of your monitors. It seems
like this was discussed once in Sunspots, but I can't find the issues :(.
-bdg]]

John Boyland
boyland at sequoia.Berkeley.EDU