Long SCSI cables on Sun-3 machines

Barry Comer aucs!870646c at aucs.acadiau.ca
Sun Feb 3 07:02:41 AEST 1991

I am in charge of a small network of Sun machines.  We have one Sun-3
which seems to be giving us problems.  It is a Sun-3/60 with 60 meg tape
and 300+ meg Sun Shoebox with the long 10 foot cable.  The error looks
something like:

DVMA = 0, context = 2, virtual ad = dd5a294
pme = 92000562, phy.add ac4294
panic: unknown memory error
sync file system 10 10,8,5,1 done
dump to upf1a16b4, offset 27542

memory ERROR! Status D4, DVMA -Bit 1, Context 0,
Vaddr: ffde294, Paddr 00000294, type 0 at
0x0fef4020

I wrote the error down before it rebooted, most of it should be correct.
Can a long or bad SCSI cable cause this?  The motherboard has been
replaced by Sun, and the memory was tested in another Sun-3 which reported
no errors.  HELP!!

By the way the machine is running Sun OS 4.1 and has 12megs of ram.

later
Barry Comer
870646c at aucs.UUCP