IBM 930 vs. Sun 4/490

Mark Holden holdenm at stolaf.edu
Tue Feb 19 05:43:00 AEST 1991

In article <1533 at brchh104.bnr.ca> jjmhome!rmwise at das.harvard.edu (Robert M. Wise) writes:
>Does anyone know how the performance of an IBM RS/6000 model 930 compares
>to that of a Sun 4/490?  How is the disk performance on a 930?  How does
>sync-SCSI compare to IPI?  Which would YOU rather have???

Well, sync-SCSI can match basic IPI, theoretically, but probably won't
with most of the sync-SCSI drives.  IPI parallel head drives will smoke
the sync-SCSI ones though.  Of course IPI para drives cost a fortune
compared to SCSI drives.  Which would I rather have?  The 4/490.  As a
matter of fact, I do have one at work, and while it's not a CPU screamer,
the drives give it some very nice throughput.