Example pgm that is 3X slower on SS2 than on SS1+

Dick St.Peters stpeters at dawn.crd.ge.com
Tue Feb 19 05:43:00 AEST 1991

In article <1548 at brchh104.bnr.ca> mark at mips.com (Mark G. Johnson) writes:

>Here is a short C program that runs 3 times faster on a SS1+ than on a
>SS2.

Well, it may run faster on Mark's SS1+, but when I just tried it, it sure
ran a *lot* faster on a 2 (5.5u) than a 1+ (59.8u).

Those are time for the program exactly as he posted it, compiled with the
standard cc, also just as he posted.

However, Mark does seem to be onto something.  Compiling the program in a
variety of ways, I did get an enormous range of run times on both
machines.

Dick St.Peters, GE Corporate R&D, Schenectady, NY
stpeters at crd.ge.com	uunet!crd.ge.com!stpeters