SunOS 3.2: long printer jobs getting truncated

Linda Foster olsen!lindy at uunet.uu.net
Thu Feb 14 09:03:00 AEST 1991

Scenario:  Sun 3/180 running OS 3.2 has a Brother HL-8PS PostScript
	   Printer attached to it.  The printer has a hardware XON/XOFF
	   switch, which is enabled.

Problem:  When long documents, looks like anything over 300Mb, are printed,
	  the printer just prints the first 300Mb or so, and the rest of
	  the job is dropped.  The printer's log file says:  Error:
	  undefined; OffendingCommand: xxx  (where xxx is any 3-5 chars).

The printer happens to have 300Mb memory.

In more recent versions of the operating system, with which I am somewhat
more familiar, you can just use the ms flag in the printcap entry to set
XON/XOFF.  I think this lack of XON/XOFF agreement between machine and
printer might be the problem, but can't seem to decipher from TFM how to
set it under 3.2.

Any suggestions appreciated, including RTFM as long as you point me to the
appropriate FM.  Thanks all,

Lindy Foster
Olsen & Associates, Seefeldstr. 233, CH-8008 Zuerich, Switzerland
Email: lindy at olsen.uu.ch or uunet!chx400!olsen!lindy