Sun and Unix V.4 & ABI ?????

Travis Bissett tbissett at nstar.rn.com
Thu Feb 14 09:03:00 AEST 1991

Would some kind person in possession of reliable knowledge let me know (by
direct email preferably) what, if anything, Sun has announced regarding
AT&T Unix System V Release 4 (S5R4) and the ABI standard? I am looking to
include a low-end workstation in our department's '92 capital budget plan.
The particular workstation I'm considering was touted as a "full
implementation of Unix S5R4 that outperformed comparable NeXT and Mac A/UX
platforms" (BYTE magazine). But I'd like to get some solid information on
exactly what S5R4 and ABI mean in terms of having access to the
substantial software base that is out there for Sun workstations.

All facts and opinions are welcome to me:

                Travis Bissett at 1:227/2
                tbissett at nstar.rn.com

Uh, please accept my apologies to this conference/echo if this subject has
been thoroughly thrashed already. I'm not a regular participant due to
circumstances mostly beyond my control and can't scan the recent traffic.
I hope some kind soul will recap the relevant news for me. Thanks to you
all for your spirit of cooperation. :-)