SLIP (Performance/reliabl

protocom-Laurent turcotte protocom%terre at uunet.uu.net
Tue Feb 19 05:43:00 AEST 1991

I'm considering using FTP via SLIP to transfer files from a Macintosh to
Sun Sparc station. I know 4.3-BSD Unix implements SLIP.

I would be using TCP/Connect II 1.0 from Intercon Systems Corporation on
the Macintosh side.  The Sun would call the Macintosh via modem (SLIP) and
establish an FTP session.

(1) Is SLIP reliable enough over noisy modem lines? (I know that the TCP
    and IP layers contains checksum block validations) or should I use
    something like ZMODEM or KERMIT.

(2) Is the question of speed which would be faster (SLIP/FTP, XMODEM or
    KERMIT)

(3) Which is the most flexible? I think SLIP since you can almost do
    anything with IP but send me your opinions.

Thanks
Larry Turcotte                           Internet:protocom at dmi.usherb.ca
computer science student/consultant
consulting company:Protocom              Is there anybody out there.....