SunOS 4.1.1 and Sync SCSI

Jamie Gulden yuma!jamison at ccncsu.colostate.edu
Tue Jan 22 05:53:37 AEST 1991

In article <1232 at brchh104.bnr.ca> rick at olivea.olivetti.com (Rick Meneely) writes:
>From article <976 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, by mea at sparta.com (Mike Anderson):
>> We just got a copy of SunOS 4.1.1 here for our SparcStation 1+ and we are
>
>> [...] but I started getting all kinds of READ
>> errors from various blocks on the disk (that is when I tried the sync
>> jumper).
>
>> Has anyone seen this problem?

We have just spent a week with the disk error problem and (no thanks to
Sun) have found our problem to be in the SCSI interface.  Depending on the
length of the cables, the particular terminater used, and how many devices
are on the bus will affect the success or failure.  We originally got our
system running by removing one of the devices (leaving 2) from the bus.
National Peripherals suggested shorter cables even though we were below
the 6 meter limit and this worked and allowed us to put the third device
back on the machine.  Suns only suggestion was to remove the terminator.