Segment violation from malloc (what does it mean?)

fredc at umrisca.isc.umr.edu fredc at umrisca.isc.umr.edu
Sat Jan 5 17:44:26 AEST 1991

I have been working on a big SunView program for a while now, and, after
adding some [more] dynamically allocated data structures which endure for
the entire program, dbxtool gave me the following message:

(dbxtool) Running: sym_edit
signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) in malloc at 0xec52864
malloc+0xe4:		movl	a5@(0xd4),a0

A little background here might be helpful.  I'm running on a diskless 3/60
under 4.0.3.  The program has a lot of stuff stored in linked lists for
easy loop-induced extraction (when you come to a NULL pointer, you're at
the end of the list), and for easy addition to the lists' contents (with a
static array, the declaration must be altered when adding to the list).

What I want to know is: does this message mean I am running into a limit
on my dynamic storage space?  If so, is it a hardware or un-fixable
software limit, or can I get the compiler to give me a larger heap to work
with?

Fred Clauss                  INTERNET:  fredc at isc.umr.edu (preferred)
P.O. Box 815                  		or fredc at ee.umr.edu
Rolla, MO 65401		     BITNET:    S081192 at UMRVMA
phone: (314)364-7224