CDROM distribution of SUN software

Ken Stamm slhisc!ken at marob.masa.com
Thu Jan 3 03:40:15 AEST 1991

In article <981 at brchh104.bnr.ca> jay at silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) writes:
>In article <938 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, bgsuvax!herber at cis.ohio-state.edu (Steve Herber) writes:
>1. Continue supplying the OS on 1/2" and 1/4" tapes for all architectures
>   for at least 3-5 more years.
>
>2. Provide a software utility which enables customers to cut their own
>   bootable 1/2" or 1/4" install tapes from the CDROM.  Then larger customers
>   could purchase one set of media and make whatever media they need, and
>   field offices could take care of their smaller customers.

We actually have the same problems the writer states, concerning 4/280s
with no SCSI 1/4" or CDrom.

I like alternative #2, above, but suspect it will never happen.  Sun has
made it rather difficult (tho not impossible) to dup boot tapes.  SunOS
4.1.1c on 1/4" is a particularly fine piece of work, in this regard.

I propose alternative #3:

3. Allow Sun's field offices to dup off 1/4 and 1/2" copies of the current
   SunOS for their smaller (and larger!) customers.

Comments?

Ken Stamm (ken at slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013