PostScript previewer for Sun

Mark Bush Mark.Bush at prg.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 20:36:49 AEST 1991

In article <1204 at brchh104.bnr.ca> deutsch at parcplace.com (Peter Deutsch) writes:

> Ghostscript, a piece of GNU software available from the Free Software
> Foundation, is a no-charge P*stScr*pt previewer that runs on a very wide
> variety of Unix systems, including Sun-3 and Sun-4 under either SunView or
> X Windows.
>
> I believe the performance of
> the most recent release is better than either ralpage or xps, but I
> haven't tested them myself.

I have just recently installed GhostScript on our system.  Quick tests
show that this version (2.1) is at least one order of magnitude faster
than ralpage and compares well against the "pageview" previewer that comes
with OpenWindows (previewing worldmap.ps from the OW area was about 2-3
times slower with pageview...).

I was very impressed with its handling of colour PS.

The SunView version doesn't seem to handle colour, but I'm an X person so
that doesn't bother me 8*)

Mark