Writing MSDOS format discs with SunOS...

scott%grlab.uucp at hpubvwa.nsr.hp.com scott%grlab.uucp at hpubvwa.nsr.hp.com
Thu Jan 24 09:02:57 AEST 1991

Is there any way to write files onto an MSDOS-format diskette under
standard SunOS? I know about the mtools stuff, which I use on our systems,
but this is for something that we may be trying to do from a commercial
product. For that purpose, we can't assume that the user will have that
software.

I also know that under SunOS 4.1.1, the "pcfs" file system exists which
would work fine except for the fact that one has to be super-user to mount
the silly thing. It seems the only solution for the time being is to write
a program that mounts it, then turn on the setuid-bit for the executable.
I imagine we'd want to ship the source to it, so sys-admins could verify
that it won't do any nasties. I'd really like a way to do this without
requiring super-user intervention.

Any ideas?
Scott Blachowicz
USPS:  Graphicus                E-mail:  scott%grlab.UUCP at hpubvwa.NSR.HP.COM
       150 Lake Str S, #206      ..or..  scott at grlab.Celestial.COM
       Kirkland, WA USA 98033    ..or..  ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott
Voice: 206/828-4691             FAX:     206/828-4236