Dayna EtherPrint and Sparc 1+

Steve Dyer dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com
Wed Jan 9 19:22:38 AEST 1991

In article <1081 at brchh104.bnr.ca> gbass at zeus.dnet.ge.com (Jerry Bass) writes:
>Can someone please tell me if it is possible (and how)  to set up a Sparc
>1+ to print to a printer connected to the Ethernet via a Dayna EtherPrint.
>Its no problem for the Macs on our network (obviously).  We have SunOS
>4.1, TranScript, etc.

Yes it is.  I'm using a Sparc SLC running TranScript along with Rutgers
CAP (with ethertalk support), a Mac IIfx, and a Dayna EtherPrint box
connected to a TI Microlaser PS.  The SLC, Mac and EtherPrint are all on a
stretch of thinwire, and both the SLC and MacIIfx can print documents
seamlessly.

You need to get the Rutgers CAP distribution, build a new kernel with the
Jeff Mogul ethernet packet filter driver, build and run the CAP package
with ethertalk encapsulation.  The application which talks to a an printer
on ethernet is called "papif".

This is my /etc/printcap entry:

lp|lw|ps|postscript|PostScript:\
        :lp=/dev/ps:sd=/usr/spool/lw:sh:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/lw/lw-log:af=/usr/adm/lw.acct:\
        :if=/usr/local/cap/ps:\
        :of=/usr/local/cap/papof:gf=/usr/local/lib/ps/psgf:\
        :nf=/usr/local/lib/ps/psnf:tf=/usr/local/lib/ps/pstf:\
        :rf=/usr/local/lib/ps/psrf:vf=/usr/local/lib/ps/psvf:\
        :cf=/usr/local/lib/ps/pscf:df=/usr/local/lib/ps/psdf:

/usr/local/cap/ps is the following shell script:
#!/bin/sh
BANNERLAST=1
PSTEXT=/usr/local/lib/ps/pstext
export BANNERLAST PSTEXT
# pass the printer name and the arguments lpd passed us
/usr/local/cap/papif -P ps $*

Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu