Can I move cg2 from Sun 3/180 to Sun 4/370?

Skateboard From The 8th Dimension dd at mips.com
Fri Jan 11 12:05:31 AEST 1991

In article <1147 at brchh104.bnr.ca> bmh at cs.unc.edu (Brad Hemminger) writes:
>We need to have two framebuffers on a Sun 4/370.  We currently have a cg3
>(loaned to us) on the Sun 4/370.  We would like to move a cg2  board from
>an existing Sun 3/180 to the Sun 4/370 to provide a second framebuffer on
>that system.

>Can anyone tell me whether I can/cannot do this?

The problem is that Sun-2 color frame buffers (aka CG2s) do not support 32
bit accesses, and Sun-4s do not have dynamic bus sizing for VME accesses.
So, any software which performs 32 bit accesses to the frame buffer will
fail.  This includes the boot PROM, X11R4, and probably OW.  SunView and
other pixrect based software should be OK.

>And if I can is there
>anything special I should be aware of, or can I just plug it in?

You have to cut some traces on the CG2 to change its address.  Also, you
need to recompile the cgtwo driver if you have kernel source, or get a new
version from Sun Consulting if you don't.

P.S. You're probably better off borrowing a P4 cg4 or cg6...

David DiGiacomo, MIPS Computer Systems, Sunnyvale, CA  dd at mips.com