Sun 386i won't boot

Terralyn Vandetta udellt at mist.cs.orst.edu
Thu Jan 3 10:14:03 AEST 1991

I am having difficulties with a Sun 386i running 4.0.2.  The root disk
died on me and I had to transfer the operating system to the second disk.
(327 Mb Wren IV)  I had backed up the failed disk and simply reloaded it
onto the good disk after repartitioning things so they would match.  I ran
installboot to make the newly created root disk bootable.  I also changed
the SCSI ID so that the new disk was sd2 as that was what the other disk
was.  (changed the bad disk to sd0, there are not two sd2's) Now when I
try to boot I get:

checksum 9bc996f7 != 3131cc49, trying to boot anyway
<pause>
Exception e "Page Fault" at 010000db

When I ran installboot with the verbose option it responded that the
checksum is 3131cc49.  Where is the other number coming from?  I managed
to get around this error once with a "b -a" and answering all the
questions.  The machine has since hung again and now that option won't
work either.

This machine is hopefully going to be upgraded, but not soon enough.  Any
help getting the machine back now would be appreciated.

Terralyn Vandetta
Oregon State University/Environmental Protection Agency
udellt at mist.cs.orst.edu