NFSWATCH 3.0 now available.

davy at erg.sri.com davy at erg.sri.com
Fri Jan 25 05:03:57 AEST 1991

NFSWATCH Version 3.0 is now available for anonymous FTP from the host

	ftp.erg.sri.com		(128.18.4.39)

in the file "pub/nfswatch3.0.tar.Z".  We do not have UUCP access.  Please
do not ask me to mail you a copy; I don't have time.  I'm sure that the
various archive sites (sun-spots, osu-cis, etc.) will pick it up in the
next few days...

The README file is enclosed below.
								January, 1991

This is NFSWATCH Version 3.0.  It lets you monitor NFS requests to any
given machine, or the entire local network.  It only monitors NFS client
traffic (NFS requests), it does not (and cannot) monitor the return
traffic from the server in response to those requests.

There have been many changes since NFSWATCH 2.0:

- The "-allif" option allows NFSWATCH to read packets from all configured
  network interfaces, instead of only a single interface.

- The '[' and ']' commands have been added to "scroll" the bottom part of
  the display, which when displaying client names can be longer than the
  number of lines you have.

- The 'p' command changes the display to show NFS procedures and the
  percentages of each.

- A real help screen has been added to replace the single-line help.

- The per-client table for recording statistics is now hashed, for better
  speed.

- NFSWATCH now compiles and runs on Ultrix 4.1.

- When Ultrix 4.2 comes out, the code is present to allow capture of
  "packets to self" (the machine NFSWATCH is running on), so the "pfcopyall"
  program will no longer be needed.

- There is a bug in the NIT driver under pre-4.1 SunOS which will make
  NFSWATCH not classify packets properly (they all end up as "other").  The
  #ifdefs intended to avoid this in version 2.0 have been fixed.

- NFSWATCH now attempts to intuit the byte order in the file handle, so
  that machines with opposite-order bytes from the one NFSWATCH is running
  on can still be decoded.  Since file handles are opaque, this is better
  than nothing, but not by much.

NFSWATCH has been tested on the following architectures:

	Sun-3 SunOS 4.1
	Sun-4 SunOS 4.1

	DEC VAX   Ultrix 4.0, 4.1
	DEC RISC  Ultrix 4.0, 4.1

To compile NFSWATCH, just type "make".  On SunOS systems, it needs to
either be run as root, or made setuid root (this is safe; it setuids
itself back after opening the NIT device).  On Ultrix systems, it does not
need to be setuid root or run as root, but the super-user has to enable
promiscuous mode operation using pfconfig(8).

On pre-4.2 Ultrix systems, the enclosed "pfcopyall" program can be used to
change the value of this variable in the kernel so that you can see
packets from the host you are running on.  Otherwise, these packets will
not be included in the output of NFSWATCH.

You can redistribute this program as much as you want.  All we ask is that
you ive credit where credit is due.  If you make modifications or bug
fixes, please send them to us so they can be incorporated into the next
release.

Dave Curry					Jeff Mogul
SRI International				Digital Equipment Corp.
333 Ravenswood Avenue				Western Research Laboratory
Menlo Park, CA 94025				100 Hamilton Avenue
davy at erg.sri.com				Palo Alto, CA 94301
						mogul at decwrl.dec.com