SunView underline spontaneously replaces inverse video

Kenneth Porter well!shiva at apple.com
Tue Jan 15 07:28:25 AEST 1991

I reported this problem a while back (v9i382):

> Today while reading something in a textedit app in read-only
> mode, All of my text windows switched into a state where
> selecting caused text to be underlined instead of in inverse
> video. I no longer was able to cut-and-paste properly. Is this
> some SunView feature that I inadvertantly enabled, or is it a
> bug? How can I get rid of it without rebooting?

What is happening is that SunView is going into "secondary selection".
The keyboard driver has (erroneously) decided that the Paste key is being
held down, presumably because it missed a key-up event. The fix is to run
clear_functions (for which there is a man page).  I would recommend adding
this to your root menu, under "Services->Stop Underlining".  According to
Guy Harris, The SunView 1 Beginner's Guide (which I don't see in my 386i
manual set) mentions secondary selection in the index.  Sorry about the
late followup.

Thanks to:

bob at omni.com (Bob Weissman)
bob at psitech.com (Bob Posert)