Using Kermit on Sun Systems

Sheila Foster SDF100S at oduvm.cc.odu.edu
Fri Jan 4 00:42:08 AEST 1991

I have UNIX KERMIT installed on our SparcStation 1+ running 4.1 SunOS. We
are a University and must dial 9 to get an outside line. Everytime I use
kermit and try to dial out through the modem, the operator tells me I need
to hang up and try again. This is only when I use the 9 to dial outside of
campus. I can dial on campus lines with no problem. It seems like
everytime it dials 9 it changes to rotary dialing instead of touch tone. I
thought there might be a set argument to set this to touch tone but there
is nothing listed in the documentation for this. Has anyone experienced
this?? Do you know what I am doing wrong? Any help will be greatly
appreciated!!   THANK YOU.

[[Ed's Note: Make sure you have a delay between dialing 9 and your outside
number to give your phone system time to aquire an outside line before
your modem continues dialing. (ie: if you want to call 555-1212, you'd use
the number 9,5551212 [the , is the Hayes standard pause while dialing
character]). It would also probably be good if you could turn on your
modem's speaker while dialing so you can hear what's going on. I've never
heard of a modem spontaneously changing from tone to pulse dialing. -bdg]]

Sheila Foster
Programmer/Analyst
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
sdf100s at oduvm.cc.odu.edu