FTP and Nameservice difficulty under SunOS 4.1.1

Ivan Auger ivan at ph.albany.edu
Tue Jan 15 01:02:53 AEST 1991

jgeld at caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Geld) writes:

>When trying to ftp to
>a non-local address, I get an unknown host response from ftp.  Nslookup
>finds that non-local address fine, though.  The same happens with telnet.

I assume that you are running NIS.  If so, you must set the "B" flag in
/var/yp/Makefile to -b.  Then remake NIS.  Also you must change in
rc.local the ypserv call to ypserv -i (do this in all of your  NIS
servers)...

I had this same frustrating problem with 4.0.1.  This is documented
somewhere in the System & Network Administration number.

Ivan Auger
ivan at stat.ph.albany.edu