Sun 4/4x0 vs. Auspex

Alan Medsker alan at viewlogic.com
Thu Jan 24 04:11:32 AEST 1991

Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom for me regarding the merits
of using a Sun 4/470 or 4/490 vs. an Auspex NS3000 for NFS service?  I've
probably got 80 clients on SPARC 1 or better workstations, and many of
them would possibly hit the machine at once, some heavily, so I'm looking
for as much performance as I can afford.

Specifically, it would be good to hear how others made such a decision,
and if there are any compatibility issues here (i.e. it's a Sun 3
processor, but does it always run Sun 3 binarys?).  Thanks in advance for
any thoughts you might have.

Please email responses to amedsker at Viewlogic.COM.  I'll summarize if
anyone's interested.

Alan Medsker                                 Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
Internet: amedsker at Viewlogic.COM