Mail problem

Robertson James jarober at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
Fri Jan 4 08:12:50 AEST 1991

We have a network made up of Sun 4/330's, Sparcs, and Sun386i's. The
network is spread out across two seperate rooms, and the link between
these two rooms is down (and will probably not be up for another 3 weeks
or so). One room is running YP off the YP server, and the other room is
running it off of a YP slave (a 386i). In the room running off the slave,
I can't get mail to work, even for people whose accounts are on machines
in that room.

In the area running off the YP slave, I cannot modify the aliases database
to reflect the new addresses. I have been able to change the hosts
database in order to set a new mail server. The way our network is set up,
each machine is configured as 'standalone'. What I would like to do is
change the mail aliases to reflect the lack of connectivity. Why can't I
update the aliases database ? I edited the aliases file on the YP slave,
went to /var/yp, and ran a make. No change to the maps. I'm confused, and
any help would be GREATLY appreciated !!!

Jim Robertson,   INET: jarober at warper.jhuapl.edu, jarober at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
Johns Hopkins Univ./APL   UUCP: {backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!jarober