SunOS 4.1.1 and X11R4

Mike Anderson mea at sparta.com
Tue Jan 1 06:19:21 AEST 1991

Greetings!

This is just a warning to all of you fellow sys-admin types who were
thinking of upgrading to SunOS 4.1.1 and still planning to run MIT's X11R4
code.  When I installed 4.1.1 and OpenWindows 2.0 everything went O.K.
(Actually, there seems to be a curious bug in the MINIROOT that requires
external drives on a 4/65 to be numbered starting with sd2 or you get an
INVALID INSTRUCTION when you boot the just installed MINIROOT.  Sun
evidently hardwired the kernel to expect sd0 and sd1 to be the internal
drives. ;-) ).  But when I tried to make X11R4 from the distribution, it
barfed saying that it couldn't find /usr/include/sundev/cg6reg.h.  I
looked and sure enough, there isn't any such file included in SunOS 4.1.1
(Sun 4c Sunbin).  I simply copied the file from one of my 4.1 machines and
the make went fine.

Also, there are a few minor adjustments that should be made to the imake
Makefile and the Imake.tmpl files to set it up so that X11R4 and
OpenWindows can coexist while still enabling PD programs to make properly
(so far, I've tested cbzone, xtank, xtetris, xsol, xmille and a few others
(notice what's important at my shop ;-) )).  Anyone who's interested can
e-mail me and I'll send you the mods.

Good Luck,

Mike Anderson        "It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor
SPARTA, Inc.          of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different
mea at sparta.com        opinion."
(703) 448-0210                     William R. Inge, D.D.  1860-1954