SunOS 4.1.1 and Sync SCSI

Rick Meneely rick at olivea.olivetti.com
Tue Jan 15 11:57:44 AEST 1991

>From article <976 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, by mea at sparta.com (Mike Anderson):
> We just got a copy of SunOS 4.1.1 here for our SparcStation 1+ and we are
> seeing some bizarre behavior when we try to install it.

> When it then tries to reboot the just installed
> miniroot, it craps out with either "Invalid instruction" or "Level 15
> interrupt".

> [...] but I started getting all kinds of READ
> errors from various blocks on the disk (that is when I tried the sync
> jumper).

> Has anyone seen this problem?

I installed 4.1.1 on a 3/60 several days ago and all worked fine...however
today (while reading this newsgroup) I was also attempting to install
SunOS 4.1.1 on a Sparc 1+ and I encounted precisely these same problems!!!
I am installing it on a Maxtor XT-8760S drive which is different than Mike
Anderson was using - so I presume (guess) that is not specific to this
make of hard disk.  Any answers or suggestions would be very appreciated.

| Rick Meneely                       | Internet: rick at olivee.ATC.Olivetti.Com|