Parameters for messages in the kernal

Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672 coleman at cam.nist.gov
Sun Jan 20 18:22:31 AEST 1991

Can someone tell me why Sun has set the parameters for the maximum size of
one message (MSGMAX) to greater than the maximum size of the overall queue
(MSGMNB). MSGMNB was set to 2048 and MSGMAX is set to 8192. Seems that
this invites problems for programs that send messages which are sized to
MSGMAX.

If I keep these values and not modify the param.c file, Will I see an
affect by the small size? What are  reasonable values for these two
values? What are the largest values and how does one decide what these
values should be set to for one's applications?

Thanks

Sean Coleman
coleman at bldrdoc.gov