Preventing rsh's

Eric W. Ziegast ziegast at eng.umd.edu
Tue Jan 8 13:37:05 AEST 1991

Oren Shani writes:
>What is the best way to prevent users from rsh'ing to a machine. I need to
>prevent users from logging into my host (SUN 4 running SunOS 4.0.3), by
>rsh'ing xterms, while backing up, etc.

So long as your machine accepts any network connections, anything can
happen from the outside that mess up your dumps.

This may sound rather simple, but how about bringing your Sun down to
single user mode?  That shuts off the outside world completely.  Only you
(as root) can do anything on the machine.  Just use fasthalt (or shutdown
if you're nice ;-) and "b -s".

Eric Ziegast