SPARC laptop

George Corliss georgec at boris.mscs.mu.edu
Sun Jan 20 01:15:13 AEST 1991

I had posed the question:

I have heard a rumor of a SPARC laptop.  Does any one have
confirmation/denial/details?  Thanks in advance.  My mouth drools.

Best information:

Toshiba has one (sold overseas only at this point). Also RDI in San Diego
(dunno if they really ship or just claim to).

Aaaah, yes-- I know what I want for Christmas!  Toshiba makes a laptop
(really more of a luggable-- 1m x 1m x a few inches thick and about 18lbs)
Sparcstation.  I think they call it the Toshiba 5300.  It has a full-size
(red) gas-plasma display, a 200mb internal hard drive, s-bus and ethernet
ports.  I think it also has an internal modem option and one or more
serial ports.  It has no internal storage battery, so you have to plug it
in wherever you go.  The other downside is the price-- 13.5K the last I
heard.  While I'm saving my pennies, I'll wait for a model with an
internal battery...

It's made by Toshiba and it was shown at the last Unix Expo, among other
places. It's expensive, though (around US $15,000 at the current exchange
rate).

Thanks to all who replied. Perhaps next grant request ...

George Corliss
georgec at boris.mscs.mu.edu