1.44 Meg drive on Sun4/60 (fdfor

Kris Olander kriso at northstar.dartmouth.edu
Wed Jan 23 07:30:03 AEST 1991

Why does fdformat produce:

"fdformat: can't read verify data, I/O error."

when we try to run it on our Sun 4/60 (Sparcstation 1)?

The man page for fdformat states that this command is only available for
the Sun 3/80, or the Sun 386i, yet on page 273 of the "Sparcstation1 Sun
System Users Manual",  it clearly states that fdformat should be run
before using any commands which try to write out to a floppy.  Also, if
it's only available for a Sun 3/80 or Sun 386i, what's the binary doing on
our 4.0.3c release on the Sparcs?

Could someone enlighten me?

Kris Olander      --  Sys. Eng., Project NORTHSTAR, Dartmouth College
-----------------kris.olander at dartmouth.edu-------------------