Cleaning Sun-3 keyboards

Roy Smith roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
Wed Jan 16 05:46:09 AEST 1991

Anybody have any advice on what to do with old Sun-3 keyboards to fix the
progressive stickyness in the keys?  Some of our 3/50's have keyboards
that are so bad, they are hardly usable.  My various attempts to clean
then have usually made them worse, not better.

Purchasing replacement keyboards would be an acceptable solution, if a
source could be found at a reasonable price.  The last time we looked into
buying new keyboards from Sun (a couple of years ago), the only solution
was to buy a Sun-4 keyboard, which required a new Sun-4 mouse as well, and
some sort of special adaptor cable, the total cost of which was far too
high to be considered "reasonable".  Are there third-party Sun-3 keyboards
available?

roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy