Hardware flow control under 4.1 and higher

Warren Stokes was at gdwb.oz.au
Tue Jan 15 09:19:52 AEST 1991

This subject relates to SPARCstation 1, 1+ and 2.

I would like to run my MNP5 modem efficiently.  This means running the tty
line at a higher speed than the link speed.  Obviously I need to have
hardware flow control.  I have noticed that under SunOS 4.1 and 4.1.1 when
I set crtscts, characters received are thrown away.  This presents no
problem with printers since when you are running crtscts you don`t expect
to receive any characters.

This can be demonstrated by using a D-connector with pin 4 linked to pin 5
and pin 2 linked to pin 3. With a an RS232 tester on the port and a remote
file entry like:

test:\
	dv=/dev/ttya:br#9600:hf:

I can tip to the port and see any characters typed go out (and back in)
but they don`t make it to the screen.  Take out the hf and it works fine.
I think it is a driver problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Can anyone help me with a fix?

Thanks
Warren Stokes
was at gdwb.OZ.AU