Openwindows - 4 Megs vs. 8 Megs

Dan Smith island!daniel at uunet.uu.net
Sun Jan 13 04:14:54 AEST 1991

>In article <1130 at brchh104.bnr.ca> hpubvwa!grlab!lavar at cs.washington.edu (LaVar Edwards) writes:
>>We have a couple of Sun 3/50's with 4M and running OpenWindows.  Before
>>you ask, yes it does start up after about ~10 min and it is worthless.
>>
>>What I was wondering was what kind of performance could we get if we
>>purchased an additional 4 Meg (8 total) for these machines.

1) grab the X11R4 source with the first 18 patches, compile and install...
2) double the memory if you can to 8

This should be somewhat useable.  OW is a memory swine, although someone
else's suggestion of setting X11ONLY (or some such) to true is a good one
and should be checked out.  By using the MIT server, you'll be giving up
SunView compatibility (but there are ways of running both at once and
switching back and forth), but there are so many good (and free!) X
programs out there that perhaps you won't miss SunView.

Also, there is a program available called Xkernel, which I understand
effectively turns your 3/50 into an X display terminal (breathe new life
into it!), so that you can run your clients off of some server that's more
powerful (like a 3/280 or 4/280, etc.) Check the ls-lR from uunet or
recent comp.archives postings for availability/more info.  Good luck!

daniel at island.com       Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)
daniel at world.std.com      4000 CivicCenterDrive SanRafael MarinCounty CA 94903
dansmith at well.sf.ca.us      Fax: 491 0402 Disclaimer: Hey, I wrote it, not IG!